Today, March 14th, is pi day! I guess the non-geeks don’t celebrate pi day, but thankfully, Google is the king of geeks. Happy pi day everyone!
You can see in Google’s “pi day logo” at their homepage has some famous formulas, including:
- the famous area of a circle formula: A = pi r^2
- the function sin x, with one period plotted
- Archimedes’ calculation of pi, namely: 223/71 < Ï€ < 22/7
- volume of a sphere: V = (4/3) pi r^3
- volume of a cylinder: V = pi r^2 h
- circumference of a circle: C = 2 pi r
1 thought on “Google celebrates pi day 2010”
V1: Volume of a cylinder (where r = height = 1) V1 = pi
V2: Volume of a cone (where r = height = 1) V2 = (1/3)*pi
V3: Volume of a sphere (where r = 1) V3 = (4/3)*pi
The simplified ratio of V1:V2:V3 is:
Comments are closed.